The shotgun is one of the most effective and versatile weapons available to the average private citizen or police officer. It is also the least understood and most under-utilized weapon system. Learn how to teach students to properly select, modify, feed and operate the defensive shotgun for optimum effectiveness. This intensive course will teach you efficient techniques for handling and shooting the shotgun under stressful conditions.
Topics covered include:
- Firearms safety, including considerations specific to shotguns
- Selection of the fighting shotgun
- Modifications and Accessories
- Ammunition selection and capabilities
- Patterning for optimum performance
- Nomenclature and mechanical operation
- Shooting technique
- Loading/reloading techniques
- Safe storage and ready conditions, including cruiser ready
- Care and maintenance
- Adult teaching methods
- Training aids
Instructor candidates will receive an extensive training manual and an over-two-hour-long instructional DVD as part of the training package. Students will need 300 rounds of birdshot, 150 rounds of buckshot, and 30 slugs. We will have some properly set up loaner shotguns available.
To graduate from this course, student instructors will have to pass a shooting qualification and a written test on the material covered in the course. Please see our Eventbrite page to learn more or to register.